Come get the dust of Africa on your feet ...
Authentic Bush Camp and Eco Lodge Accommodation in Madikwe
Mosetlha is family owned and run, a rustic and intimate, unfenced bush camp nestling at the very heart of the magnificent Madikwe Game Reserve. We are this Reserve’s only authentic bush camp and genuine eco lodge – the unpolished gem in Madikwe’s crown!
It is our mission to provide you with an exclusive and unique wilderness experience. In order to ensure guests our best possible attention, we accommodate a maximum of 16 people in nine double cabins.
The camp is unfenced and our guests are accommodated in true safari style in raised wooden cabins set amongst the natural vegetation around a central camp fire and lapa area.
Cabins have partly open sides and are arranged in adjoining or detached double rooms with twin beds and simple amenities. Duvets, pillows, blankets and towels are provided by us.
Whilst bathrooms are not en suite, they are essentially private – fenced toilet/shower complexes are discreetly situated amongst the cabins. We pride ourselves in our bushveld simplicity and do not have mod cons such as electrical power or running water - our showers are safari showers and water is heated through a donkey boiler … so you only have a cold shower if you want one!.
We believe our catering is of a high standard – we prepare all meals in the traditional bush style on the open fire. Included, too, are tea, coffee, fruit juice, rusks, fruit and snacks throughout the day and on your daily walks and drives. Drinks are sold at a nominal mark up and not at usual "hotel" prices.
It has always been our mission to provide an exclusive and unique wilderness experience for our guests, with minimal ecological impact on our surroundings. We were very excited to discover the following, written by Hitesh Mehta (who has, incidentally, been a guest of ours at Mosetlha) and are so proud to see that we successfully fulfil not only the required five, but ALL TEN of his suggested criteria for an “eco lodge”.
In International Eco Lodge Guide Lines, Hitesh Mehta writes that an eco lodge is an "accommodation facility that satisfies at least five of the criteria listed below, three of which must embody the main principles of ecotourism."
The main principles of ecotourism are:
- conservation of neighbouring lands
- benefits to local communities
- interpretation to both local populations and guests.
The Ten Eco Lodge Criteria:
- Helps conserve the surrounding flora and fauna.
- Tries to work with the local community.
- Offers educational interpretive programs to both its employees and tourists about the surrounding natural and cultural environments.
- Uses alternative, sustainable means of water acquisition and reduces water consumption.
- Provides for careful handling and disposal of solid waste and sewage.
- Meets its energy needs through passive design and renewable energy resources.
- Uses traditional building technology and materials wherever possible and combines these with their modern counterparts.
- During construction has minimal impact on the natural environment.
- Blends with local physical and cultural environment through careful attention to form, landscaping and colour, as well as the use of local traditional architecture.
- Contributes to sustainable local community development through education programs and research.